The Ancillary Review of Books publishes reviews and essays with an emphasis on utopian impulses and systemic injustices. ARB seeks to build a community of radical thinkers writing about amazing, speculative, global writing. If you are interested in writing for ARB, please pitch us using the form below! Some works coming out this June that we’re interested in covering:
The Chosen and the Beautiful. Nghi Vo.
- The Other Black Girl. Zakiya Dalila Harris.
- Future Feeling. Joss Lake.
- Sinopticon: A Celebration of Chinese Science Fiction. Ed. Xueting Christine Ni.
- Monstrous Heart. Claire McKenna.
- Black Sci-Fi Short Stories. Ed. Tia Ross.
- Wendy Darling. A.C. Wise.
- The Witness for the Dead. Katherine Addison.
Star Eater. Kerstin Hall.
- Brilliance Is the Clothing I Wear. Ed. Inkwell Studios.
- Around the Day in Eighty Worlds: Politics of the Pluriverse. Martin Savransky.
- Remainders of the American Century: Post-Apocalyptic Novels in the Age of US Decline. Brent Ryan Bellamy.
- God is Change: Religious Practices and Ideologies in the Works of Octavia Butler. Eds. Aparijita Nanda and Shelby Crosby.
- It Can Happen Here: White Power and the Rising Threat of Genocide in the US. Alexander Laban Hinton.
Love’s Next Meeting: The Forgotten History of Homosexuality and the Left in American Culture. Aaron Lecklider.
- Bollywood’s New Woman: Liberalization, Liberation, and Contested Bodies. Megha Anwer, Anupama Arora.
Haunted Homes. Dahlia Schweitzer.
- Pulp Empire: The Secret History of Comic Book Imperialism. Paul S. Hirsch.
- Dislike-Minded: Media, Audiences, and the Dynamics of Taste. Jonathan Gray
Other Review and Essay Options:
- ARB is always broadly interested in pitches for essays about genre fiction, world literature, literature and media from below, cultural studies, and writing about systemic injustices and utopian impulses.
- If you’re interested in reviewing anything not on this list, please send us a pitch—we’re interested in a broad range of topics. For works published more than 5 years ago, we are interested in “retrospective reviews” that focus on why this text is worth revisiting.
- You can also see which titles ARB has available for review.
- We are accepting pitches for review and essay series, such as re-reads of an author.
- We are looking for contributors to ARB’s “Zoom and Enhance” series: essays that closely examine a small feature of a work, such as a single line of text or dialog.
- We welcome pitches for “Ancillary Guides” that introduce readers to an idea by way of a list of 5-10 books that are must-reads on a critical conversation, with brief commentary.
If you are interested in reviewing or essaying for ARB, please fill out the form below: let us know what you’d like to write about, and why you might be suited for it. While we welcome new writers, please point us towards any of your reviews or other writing if possible (personal blogs or Goodreads are fine). If there are multiple books for review that catch your eye, please list them in the order you’re interested in reviewing them.